Emotional Behaviours at Work
Understanding and Developing Emotional Intelligence
There is a growing body of research that clearly shows that proper understanding and use of emotional intelligence helps leaders and teams become more effective and better communicators which directly impacts on performance. Emotional intelligence helps you build stronger relationships, succeed at work, and achieve your career and personal goals.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Daniel Goleman in his book Emotional Intelligence (EI) defines it is the ability to identify, use, understand, and manage emotions in positive ways to communicate effectively, empathise with others, overcome challenges, relieve stress and defuse conflict. It has four discrete elements:
- Self-awareness – recognise your own emotions and how they affect your thoughts and behaviour, know your strengths and weaknesses, and have self-confidence.
- Self-management – control impulsive feelings and behaviours, manage your emotions in healthy ways, take initiative, follow through on commitments, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Social awareness – understand the emotions, needs, and concerns of other people, pick up on emotional cues, feel comfortable socially, and recognise the power dynamics in a group or organisation.
- Relationship management – know how to develop and maintain good relationships, communicate clearly, inspire and influence others, work well in a team, and manage conflict.
The EBW Model
At Idyia Coaching and Development we use the Emotions and Behaviours at Work Assessment because it’s practical, accessible approach makes it ideal for leaders and teams to quickly understand how critical emotions and behaviours impact on the success of themselves and others at work enabling them to engage with work and enhance performance. The key to the model is self-awareness and understanding of others in the specific work and role context.
The EBW Model has 8 main scales summarised below:
Want to explore Emotional Intelligence?
Idyia can offer:
- Understanding Emotional Intelligence Workshop
- Coaching in Emotional Intelligence around your own EBW report (sample report)
- Coaching in Emotional Intelligence for Teams using the EBW Team Report (sample report)
Read more about the EBW Model of Emotional Intelligence:
- The Business Case for Emotional Intelligence
- Overview of the EBW Emotional Intelligence Model
- Business Emotional Intelligence Develops High Performing Teams
Email or call (01604 847 589) to discuss how Idyia can help you maximise the impact of developing an understanding of emotional intelligence and start reaping the career and business benefits.